Importing a Bus or Motorhome into Canada

Importing buses, motor coaches and motorhomes into Canada can be somewhat confusing. There are varied rules, admissibility, non-admissibility and modification requirements that are dependent on vehicle type, manufacturer, age, use and duration of use within Canada.

According to Canadian import laws, the vehicle must meet the requirements of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), Transport Canada, and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency before it can be imported.

Transport Canada's Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program provides a comprehensive list of vehicles that can and cannot be imported to Canada, modification requirements if applicable, and equipment requirements. For instance, buses manufactured for sale in the United States and less than 15 years old, or manufactured on or after January 1, 1971 must be registered with the RIV program. There are a number of possible exemptions for buses based on age, owner status, duration etc.

Qualifying buses must be registered in the RIV program when you report to the CBSA office on arrival in Canada. You will need to provide:

You then have 45 days to have the necessary changes made to your vehicle and have it inspected.

For all other buses excluding school buses such as coaches, there is a comprehensive list of qualifying manufacturers, years and an accepted chassis and passenger capacity for each on the Transport Canada Section 6.0 Page.

In order to import Class A or C motorhomes, owners must check the Transport Canada Section 5.1 Page for manufacturers, models, years, and configurations that are admissible and non-admissible. For Class B motorhomes, owners must check the Section 5.2 Page for all applicable data.

Keep in mind that all of these listings are subject to change, so it's best to check back regularly. Please contact us with any questions, as we at Buses for Sale want to help you find a bus that'll be easiest for you to import so you'll be happy with your purchase.